15 oz. sorghum flour
3/4 t. xanthan gum
1 1/2 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
4 oz. fine grain natural cane sugar
7 T. coconut oil, melted
1 T. vanilla
2/3 c. hot water
16 oz. fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
dairy free whipped cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
3. Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the coconut oil, vanilla, and hot water briefly.
5. Pour liquid mixture over the flour mixture, and stir until just combined.
6. Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface, dust top lightly with flour, and pat into 1 inch thick round.
7. Using a 3 inch biscut cutter or similarly sized cookie cutter, cut out shortcakes.
8. Place shortcakes a few inches apart on prepared baking sheets. If desired, you can brush the tops with almond or rice milk and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake for approximate 14-16 minutes. Shortcakes will puff up slightly and darken a bit. They will spring back when pressed gently.
9. Cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack. Shortcakes can be made in advance stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days until ready to serve.
10. Immediately before serving, slice shortcake in half. Top the bottom slice with a dollop of whipped cream and strawberries then gently place the other half of the shortcake on top.