Makes 1 1/2 dozen
2 flax eggs (2 T. ground flax + 6 T. warm water)
1/2 c. soy milk
1/2 t. lemon juice
12 1/2 oz. gluten free all-purpose flour
1 T. ground cinnamon
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. xanthan gum
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
14 oz. cane sugar
4 T. (2 oz.) Earth Balance margarine
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 t. vanilla
2 – 2 1/2 c. shredded zucchini (2 medium)
1/2 c. chopped nuts and/or dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line muffin tin with liners or parchment.
2. Prepare flax egg and set aside. Stir lemon juice into soy milk and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and nutmeg.
4. In another medium bowl, cream sugar and margarine. Add applesauce, flax egg, soy milk mixture, and vanilla and stir until combined. Fold in zucchini.
5. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients, and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until flour mixture is just incorporated, taking care to not over mix.
6. Using a large spoon or small ice cream scoop, spoon batter into muffin cups until they are about 2/3 full. Sprinkle nuts or chocolate chips on top of batter, if using.
7. Bake muffins for 22 – 26 minutes — rotating muffin tin after first 12 – 14 minutes — until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
8. Cool muffins in the pan for at least five minutes before removing to wire rack.