Toasted Almond Cantucci with Dark Chocolate and Cranberry
Makes about 3 dozen pieces
8 oz. Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free flour
1/2 t. xanthan gum
3/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. grated orange peel
1/4 t. grated lemon peel
2 flax eggs (1 T ground flax plus 4 T water)
5 oz. sugar
2 T. olive oil
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. anise extract
2 T. chopped toasted almonds
2 T. dairy free semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
2 T. finely chopped unsweetend dried cranberries
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
2. Prepare flax eggs and set aside.
3. Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, beat the flax eggs, sugar, olive oil, vanilla, and anise extract until well blended. Fold in almonds, chocolate chips, and cranberries.
5. Slowly stir flour mixture into egg mixture 1/3 at a time using wooden spoon or your hands. Once all dry ingredients are absorbed and dough is smooth, divide in half. Form into logs approximately 12″ long and 3″ apart on a greased or non-stick cookie sheet. Press down to flatten to about 3/4″ thickness.
6. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes, then remove from oven. Once cool enough to handle (5 – 10 minutes), slice into 3/8″ slices along the diagonal. Place on one side and bake for 15 minutes. Turn slices over and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.
Store in an airtight container.