Makes about 3 dozen pieces
6 1/2 oz. Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free flour
1 1/4 oz. cocoa powder
1/4 t. espresso powder
1/2 t. xanthan gum
3/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
3/4 t. grated orange peel
2 flax eggs (1 T ground flax plus 4 T water)
5 oz. cane sugar
2 T. olive oil
1 t. vanilla
1 3/4 oz. chopped toasted hazelnuts
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
2. Prepare flax eggs and set aside.
3. Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, beat the flax eggs, sugar, olive oil, and vanilla until well blended. Fold in hazelnuts.
5. Slowly stir flour mixture into egg mixture 1/3 at a time using wooden spoon or your hands until all dry ingredients are absorbed and dough is smooth. If mixture is too dry to come together, add water or espresso about a 1/4 t. at a time until it does, but be careful not to add too much.
6. Divide dough in half. Form into logs approximately 12″ long and 3″ apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Press down to flatten to about 3/4″ thickness.
7. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes, then remove from oven. Once cool enough to handle (5 – 10 minutes), slice into 3/8″ slices along the diagonal. Place on one side and bake for 15 minutes. Turn slices over and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.
Store in an airtight container.