Pistachio Cardamom Rose Basbousa
4 oz. shelled pistachios
6 1/2 oz. cornmeal or polenta
1 t. ground cardamom
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 c. non-dairy plain yogurt
1/2 c. honey (substitute agave syrup)
4 T. Earth Balance margarine, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon rose water
2 1/2 oz. shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
2 T. rose syrup for drizzling
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a fluted tart pan and set aside.
2. Place pistachios in a food processor and grind to a fine powder.
3. Add cornmeal, cardamom, salt, and baking soda to food processor with the pistachio flour and pulse a few times to evenly distribute. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, honey, Earth Balance, and rose water. Stir the dry ingredients into the yogurt mixture until combined. Pour batter to the tart pan.
5. Bake basbousa for 10 minutes. Then, remove the basbousa from the oven and sprinkle the chopped pistachios on top and return pan to the oven.
6. Bake for another 10 minutes. Remove the basbousa from the oven and cut it into diamonds. Drizzle with rose syrup and let cool to room temperature before serving.