Black and White Cookies
Makes 2 dozen small cookies or 12 large cookies
12 oz. white rice flour
2.5 oz. gluten free all-purpose flour
8.75 oz. cane sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cream of tartar
1 t. xanthan gum
1 t. salt
3/4 c. coconut oil, melted
1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 T. vanilla
2 – 3 drops lemon oil
1/2 c. cold water
1 c. dairy-free, semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 T. coconut oil, melted
1/2 t. sea salt
1/3 c. simple syrup
1 t. vanilla
1 c. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment or Silpat mats and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, xanthan gum, and salt.
3. Add the coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, lemon oil and water, and stir with a spatula until smooth.
4. Using a large (2 T.) cookie scoop or 1/4-cup ice cream scoop, drop the dough onto the baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Flatten to approximately 1/3 inch thickness using a smooth bottomed cup or bowl or moistened fingers.
5. Bake small cookies 8 – 10 minutes and large cookies 12 – 15 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through.
6. Let cookies cool on baking sheets for at least 15 – 20 minutes before removing to wire racks.
7. After moving cookies to wire racks, prepare icing:
a. Black Icing: Warm coconut oil over low heat. Stir in salt and chocolate ships, and continue stirring until chocolate is completely melted.
b. White Icing: Combine simple syrup, vanilla, and powdered sugar; stir until well combined.
8. Using a palette knife, frost one half of each cooled cookie with black icing. Then spread white icing on the other half. Let sit for five minutes until icing sets before serving.