4 oz. almond meal (or 4 oz unsalted raw almonds, placed in a food processor and ground to a coarse flour)
6 1/2 oz. cornmeal or polenta
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 c. non-dairy plain yogurt
1/2 c. honey (substitute agave syrup)
4 T. Earth Balance margarine, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon orange flower water
2 1/2 oz. almonds, coarsely chopped (I also like to use a mix of cashews, almonds, and pistachios)
2 T. honey or agave syrup for drizzling
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a fluted tart pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond meal, cornmeal, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda until evenly distributed. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, honey, Earth Balance, and orange flower water. Stir the dry ingredients into the yogurt mixture until combined. Pour batter to the tart pan.
4. Bake basbousa for 10 minutes. Then, remove the basbousa from the oven and sprinkle the chopped almonds on top and return pan to the oven.
5. Bake for another 10 minutes. Remove the basbousa from the oven and cut it into diamonds. Drizzle with honey or agave syrup and let cool to room temperature before serving.