Spaghetti & Meatballs
8 oz. ground veal
8 oz. lean ground pork
8 oz ground lamb
1 T. fennel seed
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 t. basil
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. parsley
1/2 t. fresh ground pepper
1/4 t. fine grain sea salt
1/4 t. chili flakes
1/3 c. GF panko bread crumbs
2 cans diced tomatos (I prefer Muir Glen fire roasted)
2 T. double concentrated tomato paste (the kind in the tube)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T. fresh basil, torn into small pieces
salt and pepper to taste
balsamic vinegar, to taste (optional)
1 pkg gluten free spaghetti (I prefer Ancient Harvest)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F
2. In a large bowl, mix all meatball ingredients with hands or a wooden spoon until spices are evenly distributed.
3. Form meat mixture into ping pong ball-size balls (about 1.5 T). Set aside.
4. In a large sauce pan, simmer tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, and basil over low heat, stirring occasionally. If desired, a small amount of vinegar can add tanginess; be careful not to add too much, or sauce will become too sweet.
5. Brown meatballs n a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, about 2 minutes per side. Place pan in oven.
6. Bring pasta water to a boil while meatballs are in the oven. After adding pasta to the boiling water, remove meatballs from oven and drain off all grease. Add meatballs to tomato sauce and continue to simmer until pasta is ready.
7. Serve immediately.