Pan-seared Scallop, Prosciutto, and Asparagus Pasta with Beurre Blanc Sauce
8 oz. spinach flavored rice spaghetti or linguine
3 oz. proscuitto, cut into short, thin ribbons
2 T. olive oil
1/2 lb. asparagus
8 sea scallops, trimmed
1/2 t. fresh ground black pepper
3/4 t. sea salt
1/3 c. dry white wine
2 t. white wine vinegar
1 small shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T. Earth Balance margarine
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. Brown proscuitto in a medium non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
3. Meanwhile, trim tough lower stalks from asparagus and discard. Cut remaining portion into 2 inch pieces. Pat scallops dry and season with salt and pepper.
4. Add 1 T. olive oil to now empty skillet. When oil begins to shimmer, add asparagus to pan and toss to coat. Cook until tender crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.
5. Add remaining olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Gently place scallops in skillet and cook 2-3 minutes on each side. They should be nicely caramelized but spring back when pressed lightly. Remove scallops to a plate.
6. Add wine and vinegar to pan to deglaze, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce to about 2 T. Remove from heat and stir in Earth Balance until completely melted and incorporated.
7. Combine scallops, proscuitto, asparagus, and pasta with beurre blanc and toss to coat. Serve immediately.