Leek and Potato Gratin
2 oz. pancetta affumicata, finely diced, fat chunks removed (optional; you can also substitute turkey bacon)
8 T. Earth Balance
1/4 t. mustard powder
3 lbs. thin-skinned potatoes, sliced in 1/8in. thick rounds
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. fresh rosemary leaves, minced
1 leek, white and light green part only, cleaned and thinly sliced
2 1/2 oz. nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a pie plate or gratin dish with cooking spray.
2. In a small skillet, brown pancetta over medium high heat. Drain fat and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, heat Earth Balance in microwave until just melted. Remove bowl from microwave and stir in mustard powder until combined.
4. Arrange potatoes in a single layer to cover the bottom of the pie plate. Slices should overlap slightly. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and fresh ground pepper; then sprinkle on about 1/4 of the minced garlic and rosemary, so that they are evely distributed. Arrange 1/4 of leek rings evenly over top and sprinkle about 1/4 of the pancetta over the rings. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast until the potatoes are well covered, then drizzle a couple of tablespoons of the margarine mixture over the top.
5. Repeat the process in step 4 until all ingredients have been used, you should end up with 4 or 5 layers.
6. Cover the dish with foil. Bake 60 – 70 minutes, until a toothpick easily pierces all layers of the potatoes. Remove foil for the last 20 minutes of baking.
7. Let cool briefly, cut into wedges and serve.